Monday 13 August 2012

A Honest Reflection

I started this blog a bit over a year ago and I wanted to have a look at the last 12 months and look forward to the coming year.  I haven't worked nearly as hard as I've wanted to at poker, I put my hands up to that right now, I don't deserve to be any better than I am now.  In other ways I think I've had a good 12 months; I'm on for a 2:1 at university, my skiing has improved and I guess most importantly of all, I spent 2 months on a very competitive work placement in London and have been offered that chance to go back when I graduate.

I try to keep this blog mainly about poker but as everything in life tends to affect everything else, going forward more structure and a better handle on the rest of my life will certainly help with poker.  Since I've finished this work placement and had the feedback I did, its given me a fresh drive to be the very best at everything I do, including poker.  Over the next 12 months I have three goals and they are going to be the be all and end all of every waking moment of my life, I have one year left of university which is really the last chance I have to set my life in the direction I want it to go in.

1) Graduate with a 2:1 degree or better

This should be for obvious reasons, the better I do here, the better things are in the future.  I feel this is well within my grasp and I will be incredibly disappointed if I fail.

2) Get into the best shape I've been in since leaving school

I intend on competing at the UK Ski-cross championships next April, in order to have a chance of even making it I'm going to have to get back into that shape I was when I was training every day.  This is something I've wanted for the last year or so.  I'll probably outline my plans in a separate blog post.

3) Poker

My desire to be the best possible poker player is at an all time high.  I still don't want to be a professional, but that doesn't mean I can't aspire to be good enough to be one.  While I've been working in London I've started learning mixed games, I've had a PGC thread where I update my progress daily:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/174/poker-goals-challenges/loldonakmentzs-mixed-game-min-bet-mission-1227664/

Its been going pretty good so far, I've bought a DC subscription and am making my way through learning 2-7 TD.  The aim at the moment is to be a competent mixed game cash player,  from what I've heard the edges are bigger at micro mixed cash than NLHE so hopefully I can build a bankroll there and then work on my NLHE game without having to worry about depleting my BR.  I realistically see myself having 12 months to sort out my poker game, once I get into a full time job my time that I'm going to be able to put in will go right down.

These next 12 months I have to focus and work hard; I will succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment