Monday 13 June 2011

12/6/11 - Piss Poor Preparation, Piss Poor Performance

Had a few days away from the tables up in London watching some Polo, drinking and catching up with friends. Inevitably this leads to a lack of sleep and a lot of driving, this is not the best way to prepare to play poker. I turned up late, tired but pretty convinced that I was going to play some poker despite all of this. I stacked off pretty early on with AA again (sigh, I need to learn to fold) but managed to rally back to even when this hand came along. It limped around to the button and I just limped along with 73o, shit hand but on the button with around 7-1 to call I'll see a flop. Flop comes 633dd and I get check raised by the utg player who started the limpfest. I call for a 4 on the turn and once again for a 2 on the river. I lose to 53o. I think I played the hand badly while I still lost the minimum, I would really appreciate any feedback on this hand. We were quite deep and I didn't want to get too involved but I felt I had enough showdown value, especially on the river as the flush didn't come. I had seem him limp raise pre with big pairs so I could place him on JJ-AA with his c/r OTF and bets on all further streets. Could also have been on a flush draw as he is more than happy to put the money in on those given previous history. I don't know, I found it hard to fold there but not strong enough to raise, such is life, live and learn.

It was interested to find out that one guy who I had seen at the tables a lot and had gotten quite friendly with had been playing semi professionally over the last few years with great success, although with no desire to make it a long term job. After being laid up after a workplace injury he managed to win over $40k on his first day by binking two tournaments and found himself a year or so later in Australia, having intended to just go over and see some friends. He ended up working on one of the local farms and playing poker at the Crown City in Melbourne. After a year and a half playing, which included a run in the Aussie Millions for another $40k he invested the money in property in the UK and settled into real life with a real job. I think this is a great example of what poker can do you a young man (or woman). The financial ability to get a foot on the property ladder and give yourself a good start, I wish him the best in the future with a real job!

I ended up down about half a buyin, stats at the bottom as usual. Weekend was great fun, a lot of drinking and polo, well worth the slight loss at the table that it probably caused. Have to travel back to university today to sign some contracts and sign my keys back in etc, will probably lead to a night out and a few more nights away from the table, we'll have to see.

Time played: 4:25
Buyin: £200
Cashout: £141
Profit: -£59
Hourly: -£13.36

No comments:

Post a Comment