Monday 6 June 2011

In after busto

So I finally left online poker, it has been a tumultuous affair with many ups and downs. It gave me a little extra spending money on the side but in the end I just couldn't deal with the grind. However, this is far from the end of my poker career, as many Americans are also doing, I have switched to live play. The stakes are higher, the hours are longer although sometimes less frequent and the thrill is much greater. I want to stress that I have no desire to become a professional, although I've been able to make enough money to enjoy university to the fullest! To start this blog I thought I'd write a bit about the places I play and let you guys ask whatever you want!

Portsmouth Grosvenor:
This is where I cut my teeth in the live world, I first went in after going for a drink with my better half with £200 and bought in for £100 at the £1/1 tables and was hooked. I've put more hours in here than anywhere else and made more money. The cardroom offers £1/1 and £0.5/1 NLHE and a £200 min sitdown dealers choice game sometimes runs with Irish, 4/5/6 card omaha and other games to boot. It is a well run room, usually only 2 or 3 games running but the valet service is good, soft drinks are free, parking is free (useful when playing 10hrs+) and the walk back to the car is safe with an elevator taking you straight down to the parking lot.

Southampton Grosvenor:
Very similar to the Portsmouth Grosvenor, although I'd venture that the standard is slightly higher and there is usually a bit more money on the table. I've only played here a few times but many of the perks at Portsmouth remain here, although when I've been the valet service has been somewhat unreliable. My first night there I was tempted to walk away early on when there were several confrontations between players over rulings and blatant lying my players to get rulings to go their way. This doesn't usually perturb me but with the choice I have I prefer a friendly game as it keeps the recreational players in.

Plymouth Grosvenor:
This is the game closest to my university, although still a 50 minute drive away. Parking is not free here (sighhhh) but the game is good and doesn't have to finish at any particular time at the weekends, but closes at 5am on other nights. Hosts a few bigger MTT's that don't interest my too much but they attract some good money for the cash games. Once again the ability is very mixed but the crowd seems friendly and is a good place to play. I've only seen £0.50/1 run here but I've only been twice and I'm sure a lot else runs, I'll update when I've played more!

The Vic, London
The home of English poker I guess? What can I say, anyone who has played here knows that it is a step up from other rooms in terms of size and stakes offered. From £1/1 to £25/50 and above the Vic has it all, NLHE, PLO etc, if there are people to play the game will likely run. The staff are all of course professional and the player pool is weak at the lower stakes. When I played you were expected to pay for all drinks, including soft drinks which I found strange but maybe I was there on an off night. I've only been here once when passing through London but now University is over for the summer I will be heading up to play much more often.

Bournemouth Gala
This is the game closest to my home and from now on where I intend to put most of my hours in. The game only runs at £0.50/0.50 usually but that is fine with me, I buy in for £100-200 and play nice and deep against recreational players who have found themselves with a big stack and can force those with smaller stacks to a decision. Once again the soft drinks are free, the parking is free after 10pm and the games runs nice and late, perfect for me!

This is just an introduction really, I can go into depth on anything you want to talk about from BRM to traveling to trying to live a normal life when you are getting to bed at 7am!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have friends that join you sometimes or you always go on yourself? do you attend classes?

    keep it coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always go alone except I coach one other guy and he's been on two trips with me, I expect he will join me more in the future. I almost never miss university classes due to poker but I have a light schedulew ith regards to contact hours (lectures/tutorials), I fit in my independent studies around poker.

    ReplyDelete